This post, this very post, which your eyes are gazing upon right now, this is… *drumroll please* MY 100TH POST!!! Ahhh!! You probably already knew that from the title, and I obviously already knew it too, but please allow me five seconds to freak out over this milestone that has taken me exactly two years to reach. Yep, that’s right, folks. This post is not only my 100th post here on She Dreams of Travel, but it also marks my two-year blogiversarry! I swear I didn’t plan it out this way. It’s just a very happy coincidence.
I would be lying if I tried to take the humble route right now and say that I can’t believe I made it this far. I knew I would make it here because when I started She Dreams of Travel, I knew I’d be in it for the long haul. Despite all the hard work, I love blogging, and now that my 100th post is finally here, I’m going to bask in the glory of this accomplishment. I AM PROUD OF MYSELF!
A few weeks ago when I realized that my 100th post was coming up soon, I started to think about what I could possibly do to commemorate this milestone. I went through a lot of ideas before deciding on this one, and what sold me on it was the realization that I don’t talk about myself enough on here. Now, before you start rolling your eyes and calling me a narcissist, hear me out!
I do realize that basically everything on this blog is in some way about me or my experiences, but other than the occasionally super personal post/rant about my life, everything I write is related to travel. While I don’t see that changing anytime soon, part of the reason why I started She Dreams of Travel was to connect with other people who want to see the world just like I do. And if there’s one thing that I’ve learned in my last two years of traveling and blogging, it’s that being open to sharing things about yourself and your life is the easiest way to connect with other people.
So that is my hope in writing this post. That you’ll get to know me a little better, and in the end feel compelled to tell me about yourself so I can get to know you too! I truly do love connecting with my readers.
Now, without any further ado, here are 100 really random facts about me in no particular order that will make any sense.
1. I was born in Merrick, New York.
2. Both of my parents are form Haiti.
3. I have German ancestors on my mom’s side of the family and French ones from my dad’s side.
4. My first international trip was to Haiti. I was 11.
5. As a kid I was really afraid of Dennis Rodman (don’t ask me why, maybe it was the hair that freaked me out).
6. First time I played pool, I got hit in the head with a pool stick and almost needed stitches.
7. I have the remnants of a Harry Potter-ish scar on my forehead to prove it.
8. Taking off on an airplane scares me a little because I feel like the plane is just struggling so much to get up in the air.
9. Turbulence scares me A LOT, and I become suddenly religious, praying to anyone and everyone when it happens.
10. I played piano for nine years, and now all I remember is how to read music and play the Rugrats theme song.
11. I played soccer for 10 years.
12. I also played volleyball and flag football, ran track and threw shotput and discus.
13. I have broken both of my arms (luckily not at the same time).
14. I can’t rotate my right wrist because of the surgery I had after breaking my right arm.
15. I’m a middle child with one older brother and one younger sister.
16. I used to be self-conscious about the size of my feet. They’re a little bigger than average.
17. I studied Spanish in school for nine years.
18. My first concert was going to see *NSYNC with my mom when I was 10.
19. I told a cheesy joke in a radio competition to win those concert tickets.
20. Years later I met Lance Bass while working at a performing arts theatre in California. It was really hard not to go all fan girl on him.
21. I love to dance salsa even though I’m not that great at it.
22. Christmas is my favorite holiday, and it’s not because of the presents! I just love the lights and music.
23. The sound of metal scraping against metal makes me cringe and is one of the reasons why I hate washing dishes.
24. I’m obsessed with TV shows about weddings and wedding dresses even though I’m not the kind of girl that plans her wedding even though she’s single. Seriously. I’m not.
25. My favorite book of all time is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
26. I learned how to cook in a culinary arts class at my high school.
27. I went to Spain for the first time when I was 15. It was a class trip organized by my amazing Spanish teacher.
28. I don’t have a favorite food. I eat pretty much anything.
29. I have a guitar that I named Josefina. I never learned how to play, though.
30. I got my driver’s license at 19.
31. I did my freshman year of university at the University of Southern California (USC) and finished up at the University of Florida (UF).
32. I changed majors from journalism to linguistics in my junior year at UF.
33. It used to be my dream to be a movie critic.
34. I have a love-hate relationship with social media that strongly leaned on the hate side until I started blogging.
35. I’m a big feminist and have linked the definition of feminism HERE since a lot of people seem to not really understand what it is.
36. I got into my first serious relationship when I was 21.
37. I have been in love twice (click here to read about that second time which happened in Spain).
38. I have moved 12 times and counting in my life.
39. I’ve lived in four different states: New York, New Jersey, California, Florida
40. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is one of my all time favorite TV shows.
41. The Little Mermaid made me cry as a kid because I was so sad that I wasn’t a mermaid.
42. My nickname as a kid was kika pronounce kee-ka.
43. I worked at Starbucks for two year and loved it! People said I would get tired of the food and drinks there, but that never happened.
44. I went sky diving for my 20th birthday.
45. I talk in my sleep sometimes. I was super proud the day my friend told me I was speaking in Spanish in my sleep!
46. I have been in two car accidents… Only 1 was my fault.
47. I like both red and white wine but prefer white.
48. Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving food.
49. I’ve never been camping but would like to change that soon.
50. I saw Queen Elizabeth and Barack Obama in London.
51. I learned this summer in Greece that I get pretty bad seasickness. Not the vomiting kind of seasick but the bad headaches kind.
52. I used to be a very picky eater. Only chicken fingers for me back in the day!
53. I kinda suck at keeping in touch with people.
54. I am not too tech savvy and that makes blogging a mission sometimes.
55. I’m a night owl. Going to sleep at midnight is early for me.
56. I’m allergic to cats and dogs buuuuut…
57. I have the most adorable pet dog named Dasher and he’s hypoallergenic so I don’t have allergy problems with him… usually.
58. I’m a really bad procrastinator. 9 out of 10 of my college papers were finished 30 minutes before they were due. If that!
59. I talk A LOT.
60. I went through a phase when I only listened to music from the 1960s. The Temptations were my fave.
61. My friends say I’m a good listener, and I agree
62. I liked EDM before it went super mainstream.
63. I have asthma that gets pretty bad when I have a cold.
64. I love singing and dancing in the car.
65. Few things stress me out more than driving in south Florida. The drivers here are rude and aggressive, and they think using turn signals is optional. It’s like freakin Grand Theft Auto out here!
66. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
67. I am painfully indecisive when it comes to choosing what to eat.
68. I LOVE SURPRISES! (As long as they’re good ones)
69. I’ve run two half marathons and did both of them with my badass mom who puts me to shame with how fit she is.
70. I’m a HUGE Game of Thrones fan, and I mean the show not the books. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
71. I hate working/studying in libraries. It’s too quiet for me. I need a little background noise.
72. I am late almost everywhere I go unless it’s work, a flight or a movie, and even then I’m usually cutting it close.
73. I really enjoy going to art galleries, especially ones with photography on display.
74. I think going to the movies is a horrible first date idea. Dinner afterwards may redeem it.
75. Unless I have nail polish on, I will bite and rip off my fingernails. It’s a bad habit I’ve had since I was a kid.
76. I have a REALLY BAD sweet tooth.
77. I look at the dessert menu first when I go to a restaurant because I want to see if there’s anything worth saving room for.
78. I find languages and how we use them to be absolutely fascinating, especially from a sociolinguistics perspective.
79. I think roaches are the most disgusting creatures on Earth buuuut…
80. I took a science class at UF called “Bugs and People” and I got to hold a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach in my hand.
81. I’ve lived in so many places that it’s really difficult now to decide where I want to settle down.
82. The Natasha Beddingfield song “Unwritten” is one of my all time favorite songs. It instantly puts me in a good mood and makes me feel excited about the future.
83. I love going to watch live plays and musicals.
84. Two years ago I decided to stop chemically straightening my hair after more than 15 years of doing that.
85. Thanks to that decision I’ve discovered that my natural hair is very curly.
86. I used to draw and paint a lot. I did almost all of the art hanging in my parents’ house.
87. When the World Cup rolls around, I watch almost every single game, and I always support the U.S., Brazil and Spain.
88. My favorite color is blue.
89. I don’t like shopping for clothes for myself. I need to be in a going-to-war kind of battle mindset to get it done.
90. Making delicious lemon bars is one of my specialty desserts.
91. I LOVE dressing up for Halloween.
92. I LOVE road trips!
93. It is my dream to take a road trip across the U.S. one day.
94. I used to have a coin collection with coins from all over the world. Now I have no idea where any of those coins are.
95. I always walk around with a notebook and pen in my bag just in case inspiration his me.
96. It is my dream to get bumped up to first class one day for no reason.
97. I usually suck at remembering to take photos of random life events that are worth documenting.
98. I met my best friend when we got randomly paired together as roommates in college, and she is AMAZING!
99. I hate souvenir shopping. If I don’t see something that inspires me to think of you, you’re not getting a souvenir from my trip. #sorrynotsorry
100. I can’t take the pressure of coming up with an epic fact to end this post sooo…